So, last week was a bit crazy around here. Keegan actually had mono and was sicker than I have ever seen him before! It came on really fast and hard last weekend. On Saturday he woke up with a slight stuffy nose, but we didn't think anything of it. That night he had a bit of a hard time sleeping, I was up with him till 2am and then Matt slept on his floor the rest of the night, but he woke up on Sunday well enough that we took him to church. We were obviously wrong because he was not acting like himself in nursery and ended up hanging out with us, and then by Sunday school he was in hysterics wanting to go home. We left early and he immediately fell asleep in the car. He was starting to have a hard time breathing when he laid down, but we just assumed it was a bad cold, so we put on the humidifier and gave him some Tylenol (which usually helps). That night was rough. He was up literally every 10 minutes, obviously uncomfortable and not being able to breathe. Matt slept on the floor of his room again, just comforting him when he woke up.
On Monday he was not himself. He was not eating or drinking, and was pretty lethargic, so I decided to take him to the doctor. She looked in his throat and said it looked "nasty," the glands in his neck were so swollen that they stuck out past his jaw and he had an ear infection in one ear. She immediately tested him for strep throat, and when that came back negative, she said she thought it might be mono. Boy was I shocked! I thought that was a disease that only teenagers got! I guess it is actually pretty common, and about 90% of people get it, but are not diagnosed. Wow! She sent us to go get his blood drawn to test for the mono, but the results for that would take a few days and she wasn't going to do anything until she got the results.
Again, that night was rough. Keegan was up literally every 2-3 minutes this time. He was so miserable, and all he wanted to do was sleep, but as soon as he laid down he could not breathe and therefore could not sleep. He was miserable. We finally decided around 4am to take him over to urgent care at Childrens Hospital. Matt took him in and I stayed home with Cadence. They were there for 5 hours observing Keegan and waiting for test results on different blood work. They determined that he didn't have any other problems, so they gave him a steroid to help the swelling in his throat go down and sent him home. As soon as he got home he fell asleep on the couch and slept for 7 hours. It was kind of interesting because when he initially laid down he had labored breathing, and would wake up frequently. But as the time went on we could actually see the steroid taking effect and his breathing getting better. It was so great to see. He woke up and actually ate a little bit, but then went back to bed and slept all night. Whew!
The next day he was still pretty grumpy and uncomfortable so we just hung out around the house and watched movies. The doctor called with the first blood test results which determined that he did have mono, yuck, but just to stay on course with what we were already doing. Keegan took a 4 hour nap and woke up ready to play. Finally Thursday, he was almost back to himself. He only needed Tylenol once, and he took another long nap, but he was 90% better. Friday, he was 95% better and did not need any meds. Saturday, I would say he is back to himself, wahoo!
What a week! It is so hard to watch your children feel miserable and not be able to do anything about it! Somehow I had enough energy to make it through all of those sleepless nights and still take care of both kids during the day. I'm so grateful for Matt and his help through it all, and so glad that he took one day off to take Keegan to the hospital and help out the rest of the day. I am so grateful that Keegan is back to himself, and I hope that none of us catch any part of what he had. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers!
On Monday he was not himself. He was not eating or drinking, and was pretty lethargic, so I decided to take him to the doctor. She looked in his throat and said it looked "nasty," the glands in his neck were so swollen that they stuck out past his jaw and he had an ear infection in one ear. She immediately tested him for strep throat, and when that came back negative, she said she thought it might be mono. Boy was I shocked! I thought that was a disease that only teenagers got! I guess it is actually pretty common, and about 90% of people get it, but are not diagnosed. Wow! She sent us to go get his blood drawn to test for the mono, but the results for that would take a few days and she wasn't going to do anything until she got the results.
Again, that night was rough. Keegan was up literally every 2-3 minutes this time. He was so miserable, and all he wanted to do was sleep, but as soon as he laid down he could not breathe and therefore could not sleep. He was miserable. We finally decided around 4am to take him over to urgent care at Childrens Hospital. Matt took him in and I stayed home with Cadence. They were there for 5 hours observing Keegan and waiting for test results on different blood work. They determined that he didn't have any other problems, so they gave him a steroid to help the swelling in his throat go down and sent him home. As soon as he got home he fell asleep on the couch and slept for 7 hours. It was kind of interesting because when he initially laid down he had labored breathing, and would wake up frequently. But as the time went on we could actually see the steroid taking effect and his breathing getting better. It was so great to see. He woke up and actually ate a little bit, but then went back to bed and slept all night. Whew!
The next day he was still pretty grumpy and uncomfortable so we just hung out around the house and watched movies. The doctor called with the first blood test results which determined that he did have mono, yuck, but just to stay on course with what we were already doing. Keegan took a 4 hour nap and woke up ready to play. Finally Thursday, he was almost back to himself. He only needed Tylenol once, and he took another long nap, but he was 90% better. Friday, he was 95% better and did not need any meds. Saturday, I would say he is back to himself, wahoo!
What a week! It is so hard to watch your children feel miserable and not be able to do anything about it! Somehow I had enough energy to make it through all of those sleepless nights and still take care of both kids during the day. I'm so grateful for Matt and his help through it all, and so glad that he took one day off to take Keegan to the hospital and help out the rest of the day. I am so grateful that Keegan is back to himself, and I hope that none of us catch any part of what he had. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers!
2 comments:
Wow that sounds terrible and scary! I'm so sorry. I'm glad to hear that he is doing better. So sad to have sick kids. I remember one time when Larke had the flu. That was a doozy.
Oh my gosh! Poor Keegan! We are so glad that he is feeling better! That must have been so scary, and exhausting! It is so hard to see them sick and feel so helpless. You guys are amazing parents!
Post a Comment