Holy Cow, so I just got home from the ER with Cadence and I need get everything out so that hopefully I can relax and sleep tonight.
Cadence had a fever of 102 this morning, but a dose of Tylenol got her quickly back to normal, so I didn't think too much of it. Tonight was my work holiday party, which I had planned, so we had to go even though she wasn't feeling 100%. We left the kids in the hands of a fabulous babysitter, and went to the party. Matt left early to relieve the sitter, and I got home around 11:00, I walked in the door and she was awake with Matt, but pretty lethargic. I wanted to hold her immediately because I had been thinking about her all night; after a few seconds her eyes started rolling back in her head and a few seconds later she started having a seizure. We immediately called 911. Matt took her and laid her on the floor when he realized that she was not breathing and he gave her a few mouth-to-mouth breaths and she started breathing again. She was pretty out of it when the police/firetruck/ambulance got here, but shortly after she started crying, and it was even better than hearing her first cry. They wanted her to go in to get checked out, so she and I rode in the ambulance to the hospital. They immediately checked her temp and it was really 104 (I need a new thermometer), and they gave her Tylenol. They explained that she most likely had a fibrile seizure, which is a seizure brought on by a high temperature most common in infants/children. They took some blood and urine for analysis of any other underlying problems, and after waiting a couple hours for the test results to come back, they sent us home with a normal bill of health. By this point the Tylenol had kicked in and she had a little nap, so she was back to her normal self.
We are now home, and I am still shaking, but I am SO grateful that she is OK, and that she is now sleeping soundly in her bed. I might just watch her sleep all night.
Also, I might not go to another one of my work parties, because after the last one I went to (two years ago) I ended up in the ER with a gallbladder attack.So, after our excitement tonight and Matt in the ER last month, I'm done. I'm ready for a healthy new year, with no ER visits.
1 comment:
Oh my gosh Jeanette! I would totally be freaking out too!
You deserve a vacation from this year and a healthy new year next year! That is so scary!
I hope she starts feeling better. Was the fever just a teething fever or just a cold fever? Did they say?
Post a Comment